9.10.2008

I thought I would get the two liberal posts out of the way!

On Cursing

So, I realized today that I have a potty mouth. I enjoy cursing. I know that there are other more descriptive vocabulary words that I could use to get my point across. However, sometimes it just feels good to say one. They say what I feel and it is a great summary word. Follow along with me. I am going to list some swear words and you nod along with me if you think you know what I mean.
1. I feel shitty
2. Damn it
3. Oh crap (don’t deny it this replaces shit in Christian circles)
4. I’m being bitchy today (1st person is socially acceptable).
5. Oh, hell no.
6. That’s bullshit

Now these are the words I feel like I can say aloud and people won’t look at me like I am a freak. Now we all know that the “F” bomb is not acceptable, but let’s face it sometimes I let that one fly.

I know some of you will say, what about that whole unwholesome talk business in the Bible. Well, I say that is a good verse. I like it too. However, I think there is a difference between using a curse word and swearing. Sometimes when I am really mad and I drop the “F” bomb I am sinning because I can feel the anger boil in the pit of my stomach and then come out of my mouth like battery acid. Other times I say, I feel shitty today so that people know what I mean and because it feels good to say and be understood without saying more.

I just thought I would let you know that I have a potty mouth and I am ok with it. Sorry if I offend you I wanted you to know where I’m coming from.




On cigarettes

For so long I have assumed that cigarettes were the most terrible thing you could ever imagine. I used to hate smoking vicariously through others. Second-hand smoke is still pretty terrible. Anyway, I was thinking the other day…why is smoking any worse than caffeine which is a socially acceptable form of addiction? I haven’t come up with (or heard) a good explanation of why this is so.
The other day my friend offered me a smoke. I said sure I’d like to try that. I mean there were no witnesses so why not. I had to ask for instructions. She gave me a short lesson and I puffed. I felt this delightful fizzy sensation in my brain. It was pretty wonderful. I haven’t had a smoke since then. I am not interested in starting a new addiction, but I now understand the calming effect of a good smoke. Next time I’m offered a smoke I’ll say no thanks, but now I can do so without judgment.

5 Comments:

At 9/14/2008 09:10:00 PM , Blogger jae said...

haha! i can relate. and i know you know what i'm talkin' about.
see ya SOON! ...don't forget to send me your flight info so i know when & where =)

 
At 9/18/2008 08:42:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved reading this--so true about the heart behind the words... unfortunate that it's so taboo here... not so much in Europe. what's really unfortunate is when you here a 4-year old repeat you. ouch. i wish we could have connected more while you were here. maybe another time, another place... i hope you have a wonderful time in NYC. i'll be keeping up with you and laughing with you as you journey there. glad to have your blog.

 
At 9/19/2008 11:01:00 AM , Blogger christopher branch said...

cussin' & smokin'...
they're both such good things when done in moderation so one can appreciate the intrinsic value in both...

 
At 10/02/2008 02:25:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! that is so funny! I love the honesty though. Thats real talk.

 
At 10/06/2008 08:30:00 AM , Blogger Shannon Hayes said...

Just from the other side on smoking, it can basically kill you (in addition, second hand smoke can also kill you), while there has been no proof that caffeine does that. Also, a caffeine addiction, though bothersome and involving a headache for a week or so, is a MUCH easier habit to kick. Just thinking on the other side. However, I completely understand about the not being judgmental - like explaining to Silas why smoking is not any worse than any other vice we choose. Yet, I don't ever want him to smoke (my grandfather died from emphysema), but I don't want him to judge those who do (my dad smoked for YEARS - finally kicked the habit 11 yrs ago.) It is hard for a 7 year old to separate like that - don't judge, but don't do, also.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home