8.05.2006

Re-entry

These images have come since I've been back from China. This time of re-entering my home culture is always pretty difficult for me. When I say difficult I mean I am lonely, I lack vision, God seems distant, and I can't find the words to really connect with what is going on beneath the surface. This time though, I have a new way to process what is going on in my heart. In addition to the outlet art provides, this time God has given me many opportunities to verbally process my time in East Asia and also what is happening inside of me now in response to the opportunity to enter another culture.
Anyway, these things do not make re-entry less difficult for me, but I am able to chart where I am better and I have many companions on the journey. I'm so glad. So a little about the pieces. I woke up this morning with a heavy heart. I was sad and the tears came for no apparent reason. As I was praying and reading Psalm 19 I had a picture of resting on God's chest. In my mind's eye, as I did this, I noticed the storm clouds building around me, but they didn't bother me. I could see them, but was able to rest in God's presence. So the first thing I painted was Grace in the Storm. Immediately after that I painted Dancing. It is in response to a tape I heard on Matthew 6 about a week ago. The message was about trusting God to provide for us the way he provides for the birds. I see this provision as not only physical, but also emotional and spiritual. My heart deeply resonates with the theme of trusting God. I want to, but I often feel like I am waiting for him to fail me.
The other two paintings Grace and Grief have both come about after talks with friends in the states connected me emotionally to things I grieved in East Asia.

Grace in the Storm


Dancing


Grief


Grace

It has been fun to share a brief bit of my journey with my fellow bloggers. Thanks for reading!

6 Comments:

At 8/06/2006 03:10:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work Brenda. Your art is really open and honest. I like.

 
At 8/06/2006 10:17:00 PM , Blogger inspired said...

BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for putting yourself out there in the blogging abyss! I appreciate your heart that radiates from those works. (I also like the blue/orange combo) ;)

 
At 8/09/2006 10:46:00 AM , Blogger alethea said...

Thanks for sharing your art. And your heart. It was fun to see you at the park/shaved ice mecca :) I look forward to hearing more from your life.

 
At 8/09/2006 12:32:00 PM , Blogger Sherry and Ryan said...

Great talking to you last night! Thanks for calling. I need to take a lesson from you and figure out how to express what I am feeling inside. We both know that keeping it inside is not the way to deal with it. Art isnt my thing, but I will find something... Talk to you soon!

R

 
At 8/11/2006 04:08:00 AM , Blogger Susan said...

I'm thinking of you as I too go through re-entry stress. Thanks for sharing your heart.

 
At 8/12/2006 07:47:00 PM , Blogger Athena+ said...

Thanks friends for the encouragement. You all mean a lot to me.
:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home