3.05.2006

Movie Review and A Word About Being Me.

So, I heard a pastor use the words "off the chain" today in his sermon. Is that weird? It sounded kind of weird to me, but it rolled off his lips as if he uses that phrase all the time. Tell me, did off the chain come from the African American community or was it used in academia before it became slang? Correnta brought up this all important possibility on the way to lunch today.

On Saturday night I went to see the movie Madea's Family Reunion. It was a great movie. I really like Tyler Perry's films for two reasons....

1. They are very theatrical- the movies he has produced were originally stage plays, musicals actually. So, when they are adapted for the screen he keeps some elements of theatre in them. He definitely has his own style.


2. He films are funny, and so much more. You get humor mixed with human dignity and depravity. Even more than this element is the taste of the divine that is woven through the story line.

I give the film two thumbs up, way up.

Another reason I had such a good time was partly because of the audience in which I saw the movie. Seeing an African American movie with predominately black people is an experience of community. It is sort of like seeing a movie with family and/or friends who treat the story portrayed in the film as an added relative. So, everyone interacts with each other and with the scenes. It is so entertaining. I found myself verbally agreeing or debating with the characters on screen. So fun. This is something about African American culture that I love. We are usually a very demonstrative people.

I feel like I have closed off that part of me some what. When I think about a caged bird I resonate deeply with that image. I long to be free, but I am in a cage. The difference is that my cage is self made. In order to make life work I closed off some of my heritage and my individuality. I became what everyone else wanted me to be. In doing that I have not become freer, but more deeply bound.

Living in East Asia and in Kansas have taught me more about who I am than I thought possible. I am able to back away from my home environment and see the things that are true about me in terms of who God made me to be. Secondly I am beginning to come to know and disclose things about my heritage to others because I accept those cultural traits as valuable. In part that is due to the interest that some great friends have shown in knowing who I am and where I am come from. They want me to be me...not like them. This is a freedom I started coming to know through my friend Lisa, and am increasingly experiencing through others in my current community. Thank you ladies for journeying with me.

9 Comments:

At 3/05/2006 09:05:00 PM , Blogger Heather said...

Yea, for comments where you think you are stirred b/c of the "caged bird" I enjoyed reading that.
Also, wish I could have seen the movie with you in the "community" environment, I would love to share that experience with you sometime.
Finally, I love it when you're you!

And thanks for taking the road trip with me...it was off the chain. :)

 
At 3/06/2006 03:42:00 PM , Blogger alethea said...

Those are some powerful words. Demonstrative looks good on you!

 
At 3/07/2006 08:54:00 AM , Blogger Curt Hampton said...

Athena, this is my first post and my first visit to your blog. I must say that after reading along, I feel like I've just spent an hour at a C bookstore reading book descriptions or an afternoon with a deep friend. Way to be all naked and vulnerable in front of the world like this. I can tell that the past trying year has done amazing things for you. I look forward to being moved and challenged and entertained more in the posts to come.

 
At 3/07/2006 03:19:00 PM , Blogger Jenni said...

I feel blessed to be a witness to the changes I've seen in you the last year, I can't wait to explore more of the real you.

 
At 3/07/2006 04:23:00 PM , Blogger Jill Pole said...

I think you're beautiful and I would love to step out of my world and into yours someday. You know, you made me start thinking about the worlds our communities create. We all have rules of how we interact and I wonder how often they fit us? How much do we all conform to fit in?

On just a surface level -- boy! I sure am jealous of your movie experience. People are always shushing me at movies! It would be awesome to be able to talk back to the screen. :-) Would you take me with you sometime?

 
At 3/09/2006 09:13:00 AM , Blogger Athena+ said...

Correnta- Thanks for the conversation that led to this post. It was good stuff, fo sho.

Holla,
me

 
At 3/09/2006 09:14:00 AM , Blogger Athena+ said...

Jill- We should definitely share this experience together.

 
At 3/09/2006 09:16:00 AM , Blogger Athena+ said...

C-

I can't even begin to pronounce that mongolian name. Thanks for taking a moment to post. I actually got started on blogging due to your blog. Props!

 
At 5/26/2007 10:23:00 PM , Blogger 6:10 Creative said...

Wow, that is the first time, I think that I have seen you so expressionistic about your past. Keep moving on this road...eventhough it gets hard for the both of us, we are on the right track. I like you being you. And you are right, being you, truly you without the pressure of performance or other people's opinion is the very place I am seeking and striving for. And we, you and I, will get there! I Love You, and thank God that you are my sister!

aSHe

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home